Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Pictures of My Garden

Pumpkin (maboga), beans (maharage), and okra (bamia). Pumpkin and bean leaves are really tasty.

It took me a few hours to prepare the first two beds on the left (double digging and all) and then my neighbor came out and finished the rest Tanzanian style in about 30 minutes.

My rows of corn (mahindi)


Bananas! (ndizi)



The garden behind my house. You can see the corn and the pig sty that my neighbors have under the big mango tree.





My other corn rows.







2 comments:

Andrea Elliott said...

I love the pictures! I can't believe how red the dirt in the garden is! I wish that you were here to help me plant my new garden... you will have to explain the process of double digging to me! Also, the hair is awesome!

Sue Lani Madsen said...

It looks like the double digging it coming up faster, or else I misinterpreted the photo. I'm interested in the comparison thorugh the season, great to have a side by side test plot!

Sue Lani M.