Although not all of the students have arrived yet, the sports teams are in full swing at Songea Girls. We have basketball, volleyball, and netball teams (netball is a little like basketball but without dribbling and ironically the hoops do not have nets). I am one of the coaches for the basketball team. Most of the girls have not had a chance to play basketball before coming to Songea Girls, so it is kind of like coaching a freshman high school team. But I have been impressed with how quickly some of the players are improving. There is a big difference between the Form VI girls who have just one more year of experience than the Form V girls.
I am also impressed with how well they play despite the condition of the basketball court and the equipment. Our basketball court is outdoors on a concrete slab that is covered with cracks and potholes. Many of the girls, even the best players, play wearing shoes without laces. I’ve been getting blisters even in my comfortable running shoes, but they never complain about sore feet.
We have been playing a lot of scrimmages recently to gear up for the Bonanza tournament this week, which is organized by the Songea Basketball Association. I can’t believe there is such a thing. Apparently there is even an indoor basketball court in Songea where we will be playing. I’ll get to see it tomorrow for our first game. I’m told there will be two other women’s teams in the tournament including one which is put together by the Songea police department.
Last night we scrimmaged against a men’s team that I think will be in the tournament. I arrived prepared to referee the game as I had done for a couple other scrimmages last week, but my fellow coach told me I should play with the girls. We are entering the Bonanza tournament as a club team, not a school team, so even teachers can play! I had a lot of fun playing with the girls last night. We tied with the guys in the first quarter, pulled out 4 points ahead in the second, lost a bit of ground in the third, but then finished pretty well. The players and students who were watching the game were going crazy with excitement that our girls were competitive with a men’s team. At first I was reluctant to play yesterday because I did not want to take the spot of student players, but in hindsight I am glad I played. First of all it was a lot of fun. But also the guys would have stolen the ball every time and the game would have been a blowout if I hadn’t been point guard. I didn’t shoot a lot, mostly I just brought the ball up the court and the girls were able to do the rest. The confidence and enthusiasm the players gained from being able to stick with a men’s team was worth me taking up space. So I may play in some of the tournament games this week as well. It will definitely be interesting.
Recently one of my favorite moments of each day occurs as I walk home after basketball practice in the evenings, tired but satisfied, and glimpse the sunset beyond my house over the Ruvuma valley. I truly live in a beautiful place.
Monday, April 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment